AOL Desktop is among the leading email service providers operating today. In the world of email, interconnectivity is the key. Users often have multiple accounts and use different online platforms for their personal as well as business correspondence. One of the best features of AOL Desktop Gold is that it facilitates this interconnectivity because it is compatible with most operating systems and webmail services, including Microsoft Outlook. If they need to, AOL Desktop Gold users can access their account using Microsoft Outlook from their mobile phones or computer. But this process is not always smooth and users may sometimes find it difficult to access their accounts from Microsoft Outlook. If you find yourself in a similar situation then this article will give you some helpful tips on how to troubleshoot AOL Desktop Gold errors. This kind of login error is most probably because of a discrepancy in the account settings. Keep reading to know more.
Steps to troubleshoot AOL Desktop Gold Login Error in Microsoft Outlook
If you are attempting to log in to your AOL Desktop Gold account using Outlook then you need to make sure your account is properly synced with Microsoft Outlook. The first thing to do is to make sure you have a working internet connection so that your AOL and Outlook accounts sync without any problem. Once you establish the internet connection you will need to connect your AOL Desktop Gold account with Microsoft Outlook. To do this you will have to enter the server settings manually so take your time and read through the process completely. Simply follow the steps given below to change the account setting:
- Open Microsoft Outlook on your device and go to ‘Account Settings’.
- Select the option to ‘Add account’. And mark the option for “Manual setup or additional server types”
- Click on the ‘IMAP or POP’ button
- Use the information below and fill in the fields in the newly opened window:
- Account type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server: imap.aol.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com
- When you reach the login information section you will need to type your AOL Desktop username and password
- Proceed to the next section by clicking ‘More Settings’ and select ‘Outgoing Server’.
- Check the button that reads ‘Use same settings as my incoming mail server’
- Click on the option to add advanced settings and enter the following information:
- Incoming server (IMAP): 993 or 143
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 587
- Outgoing server encrypted connection: TLS
Carefully review the changes you made, especially the information you entered in the ‘Advanced’ settings fields. If you are satisfied click ‘Ok’ and close the program. Keep in mind that you need to restart Microsoft Outlook for the required changes to be saved. The steps mentioned above are the easiest way to troubleshoot AOL Desktop Gold errors on Microsoft Outlook. If you find that you are unable to use AOL Desktop Gold even after following the steps given in this article then you can contact the AOL customer support number and ask for technical assistance.